For rules regarding the Uninspired Chronicles, go to:
~ * ~
When I have an idea clamped in my teeth, I can’t sleep. I switch on the bedside light every ten minutes. ON to scribble something I don’t dare forget. OFF again. Good night. ON again. OFF again. So I lose a little sleep now and again. It’s just not often enough to be worth it!
On the other hand, when I have a brain cramp, I entertain myself in unusual ways. Some efforts never work. Some work once in a long while. You have to have a sense of humour every now and again. I do try. More today than yesterday etc.
These are a few of my favourite prods (yes I need prodding, so I prod when I must).
Will it be a nudge, a poke, an elbow or a push this time? Let’s have a look.
1. Free write for 10 minutes about the first thing that pops into my head: onions, the Easter bunny, what my grandkids did lately. Aanything will do no matter how ridiculous.
Ninety percent will be garbage but usually a pattern will form.
2. Try prompts. A box of randomly selected words from the newspaper waits on my desk. The work spinach again? Ugh. Stinky socks—stinky socks? Must I?
Sometimes this is even FUN.
3. I keep an envelope of pictures: interesting faces, odd objects, shapes. I stare until I go cross-eyed. Something will come sooner or later. Sometimes much later.
Other times I just get a headache.
Not what I wanted but beggars can’t be chosers. (Apologies for the cliche.)
5. Do a brain dump when times are good. Plan ahead for the blocked days. Having some of these is a miracle but having something handy might help when I need it. Save everything.
Where did I file that great stuff I dreamed up last month? Why can’t I find it?
6. Writing often seems to keep the ideas coming. Life gets in the way, though. There isn’t time enough for everything I want to do each day. Maybe I’m just too disorganized.
If all else fails or even when it doesn’t, I turn up the music. Remember marching bands? They still get my heart thumping and rev me up.
Tomorrow is another day. Maybe next time. . .
I am such a fraud!
When I’m bored and can’t bang my head against the keyboard anymore, I try online challenges (something for everyone). Another reboot: I am energized by exchanging ideas, opinions and thoughts with amazing bloggers.